Largest Selection of WVU, West Virginia, Morgantown and Barney Fife Souvenirs and Gifts Anywhere!
Fairmont by Christa Lynn Greco
Situated where the West Fork and the Tygart Valley Rivers converged to form the Monongahela River, Fairmont was an attractive location for early settlers. In 1820, Fairmont, then named Middletown, was officially established as a town by the Virginia Assembly and was renamed Fairmont in 1843. The 1800s witnessed significant advancement in community formation, commerce, transportation, and education. Coal and natural gas extraction as well as the transportation sector would fuel an increasing demand for skilled and unskilled laborers. This resulted in an influx of European workers who would further enrich the culture of Fairmont. The 1900s saw the emergence of a variety of glass manufacturing companies, a packaging plant, flour mills, and an electrical service company. Fairmont became the most diversified and plentiful city in the region.
Author Bio: Christa Lynn Greco, a lifelong resident of Fairmont and amateur historian, holds a bachelor of science degree from Fairmont State University and a master of science degree from the University of Cincinnati. In addition to volunteering for the Marion County Historical Society, she works for the US Department of Justice. With the assistance of the Marion County Historical Society, she has selected the best images from the society's archives, the community's contributions, and the public's most knowledgeable historians.
# of Pages: 128
On Sale Date: 05/13/2013
# of Images: 200 Black and White